Monday, July 10, 2006

Exit Toddler. Enter PreSchooler.

Today is Elliet's 3rd birthday. I cannot believe she's three but at the same time I can't believe she was ever a baby. We closed on this house two weeks before she was born and I spent those two weeks painting the bathroom and doing EVERYTHING I could think of to get her out. It may have worked because when I went in for my scheduled induction at 39 weeks I was already dilated 4cm...which most of you know is the cutoff for an epidural...meaning I could get it whenever I wanted it (jealous yet?) I waited...and then I couldn't speak because the contractions were so close together I barely got a breath between them. That's when Jedd went totally out of character and made the decision, "Yes, now, she wants it NOW!" Around 5:30pm the midwife came in to see where things were and, unbeknownst to us, she was crowning. I didn't feel a thing but I worked harder than I ever have. When she came out less than a half hour later, I just couldn't believe that THAT was what had been doing all that squirming. She was so active in utero that people would notice from across the room that she was moving!
Elliet, you're more special than you'll ever know and I hope we're doing okay by you. At three you seem older, but you always have. You like to help us in a lot of ways: around the house, with the younger kids and out in the yard. The other day at lunch you said you wanted oranges. We asked you what you wanted with your oranges and you said, "Uhh...a fork." Recently, when I said no to you you said, "Just say, 'You can do whatever you want to do.' As if I just had my lines wrong. You can pedal a bike and hop on one foot. You love swimming and don't want to get out even when your lips are purple and your teeth are chattering. You say things sometimes that we're still wondering about, like when you told your Nana that Daddy had thrown away all your toys. Or when you came up to me last weekend and said that Daddy had called me a chicken! I'm still not sure who's lying about that one.




Hanging out with Uncle Brent



We were inseperable...literally, you wouldn't take a bottle!



Turning one




At Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs



Hmm...meeting your new sister



Standoff



First trip to the beach, you had to get used to it but now you LOVE it!



Second Birthday in North Carolina



Still my girl

4 comments:

dan & jen said...

Happy Birthday, Elliet!
We love you!!

Julia said...

Happy Birthday Elliet! Hard to believe you're 3 already!

Auntie Em said...

You made me cry reading your blog.
I can hardly believe Elliet is already three...she is growing up so fast...I don't even remember her being a baby anymore. You are an awesome mother and she is lucky to have you both as her parents. You have raised a smart and independent girl. Ellie will always have a special place in my heart.

Christie said...

I love this post! It's beautiful. I hope Elliet had a wonderful weekend. Much love.